- Date of signing: 21 June 1999 (in the framework of Bilateral Agreements I)
- Approval by the electorate: 21 May 2000 (67.2 % in favour)
- Date effective: 1 June 2002
- Signing of FMP Protocol I (for countries that joined the EU in 2004): 26 October 2004
- Approval of Protocol I by the electorate: 25 September 2005 (56 % in favour)
- Entry into effect of Protocol I: 1 April 2006
- Signing of the FMP Protocol II (extension to Bulgaria and Romania): 27 May 2008
- Approval by Parliament of continuation of the Agreement and of Protocol II: 13 June 2008.
- Approval by the electorate: 8 February 2009 (59.6% in favour).
- Entry into effect of Protocol II: 1 June 2009
- End of labour market restrictions vis-à-vis the EU-8: 1 May 2011
- Invocation, on 18 April 2012, of the safeguard clause for the EU-8 member states
- Invocation of the safeguard clause for the EU-8 member states extended for one further year: 24 April 2013
- Invocation of the safeguard clause for the other 17 EU member states for one year: 24 April 2013
- Adoption of the popular initiative “Against mass immigration”: 9 February 2014
For more information see source: http://www.europa.admin.ch/themen/00500/00506/00519/index.html?lang=en